Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 15

What does Library 2.0 mean to me. Does this have to be a 5 paragraph essay with correct margins? No--ooooh, I see because of 2.0, I can respond via blog or wiki and gone is the 5 paragraph essay--hoo-ray!

But seriously, I love the concept of Library 2.0. I love that we're evolving and embracing the new. I was a 'forward thinking' librarian back in 1999 when I, shockingly, suggested that my students do some research via SIRs ONLINE. Oh yeah, I got down with my bad self back then. However, I've noticed that I'm still suggesting SIRS. That I got comfortable in what was once the 'new' and 'hip' ideas in Library Land and have been passed by when the new technology toll road opened. This is important to me. This is important to my school. I need to know this and so do the students (or, for those that already know this, I need to know this to keep up with them!)

I liked the perspective of "Away from Icebergs". I think his thoughts on collection development were spot on. I also thought he was spot on about placing the information for our patrons out on the web for them--not so they have to come to us. Good stuff.

No comments: